Vineyard Gazette
The tower on which the light stands, which seemed at a distance to be white, is in reality red, being made of pressed brick, and capped with freestone; it is forty feet high, and surmounted by an
Gay Head Light


Beneath the Gay Head Lighthouse Sunday, Islanders celebrated the life of late Aquinnah resident Len Butler, known to many as “the man who moved the lighthouse.”

Aquinnah officials say the town stands to gain hundreds of thousands of dollars from offshore wind energy developers that are required to mitigate the effects of offshore wind farms on Aquinnah Circle and Gay Head Light.


Standing at the top of the Gay Head Light you can see for miles, a 360-degree view of the Atlantic Ocean, Noman’s Land, the Elizabeth islands, fishing boats trawling the waters, tourists below looking out at the same view.

The town of Aquinnah will receive nearly $50,000 from the state to complete a walking path that connects the shops at the cliffs with the lighthouse overlook

Since the opening of the original wooden Gay Head Light in 1799, no keeper has served longer than Richard Skidmore.


Keepers of the Light, a documentary about the Gay Head Light, will be shown by American Public Television on public stations nationwide.