Rev. Susan Sparks at Union Chapel

Rev. Susan Sparks returns to Union Chapel this Sunday, July 15, for her sixth time.

Read More

Not Just Talking About Bridging the Divide
Katherine Gianni

David Blankenhorn, president and founder of Better Angels, was the keynote speaker for a symposium entitled Keeping Democracy Alive: Understanding What Divides Us and What Binds Us.

Read More

Union Chapel Speaker

Union Chapel presents Rev. Eboni Marshall Turman, Ph.D., this Sunday, July 8.

Read More

Lawrence O'Donnell Trades Television Studio for Pulpit

As the nation’s birthday nears, the congregation at the Union Chapel in Oak Bluffs reflected on what it was like to live in America 50 years ago.

Read More

Union Chapel Summer Speakers Define Passion in the Pulpit

Normally viewers have to wait until midnight for Lawrence O’Donnell to get in his “last word.” But on Sunday in Oak Bluffs, he’ll be finished by noon sharp.

Read More

Union Chapel Announces Summer Season

Union Chapel opens its doors for the summer season this Sunday, June 24.

Read More

The Early Days of the Chapel on the Bluffs
The story of the building of Union Chapel just 100 years ago was told in the Invitation edition of the Gazette. Never in recorded history has there been so much change during a century as has occurred during the existence of this chapel.
 
During the eventful year of 1871 there had been bi-centennial celebrations for both Edgartown and Tisbury, a new post office had been established on the Methodist camp ground, and a new steamboat - the first Martha’s Vineyard - plied the sounds. Also, in that year, the Vineyard Gazette celebrated its first quarter century.
Read More

Union Chapel is Celebrating Its 100th Birthday This Year
Mabel Gillespie
It was just 100 years ago that Union Chapel raised a spire 96 feet into the air. There was nothing else higher in the rapidly growing community of Oak Bluffs at the time, but a year later the Sea View Hotel was built opposite the new steamboat wharf, and one of its towers was 100 feet high with a flagstaff on its peak adding an additional 16 feet to the overall height. It stood on the bluffs, while the Union Chapel was built on lower ground. The Chapel Hill on which it was built was little more than a mound of slight elevation.
 
Read More

Editorial: Item of History
Vineyard Gazette
The Union Chapel was dedicated on Sunday, Aug. 20, 1871, and it had its first christening on Sunday, Aug. 3, 1958. We do not mean to imply that the years between these two dates were lost or without event, but only that the christening adds to a long history rather more than newer generations might suppose. The early builders and supporters of Union Chapel, and those who followed them, would be particularly proud of that christening, id they could know.
 
Read More

Oak Bluffs
Vineyard Gazette
The plank walk along the edge of the Bluff has been extended 2600 feet from the wharf. About 250 yards south of the wharf the restaurant and pagoda or pavilion is to be built. Workmen are now engaged in excavating a place for the lower story. The pagoda will be large, octagonal in form, with glass sides, arranged so as to be raised or lowered. In the pagoda, through which the plank walk will run, will be seats and tables where the visitors may eat ice cream, and articles of light diet, or have a substantial meal. 200 yards further south, a bath arbor will be erected 33 by 22 feet.
Read More

Pages