A man who had been living on the Vineyard before allegedly going on a violent spree on the mainland pleaded not guilty this week to charges connected to the May stabbing of four girls in Braintree. 

Jared Ravizza, 26, appeared virtually in Quincy District Court Thursday where he was arraigned on four counts of assault to murder and four counts of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon.

The charges stem from an incident where Mr. Ravizza, who police said had a Chilmark address, allegedly went into the Braintree AMC movie theatre on May 25 and stabbed four girls between the ages of 9 and 17. 

Mr. Ravizza has already been charged with stabbing two McDonald’s employees in Plymouth only an hour after the alleged Braintree stabbings. He is also being investigated in the death of a friend in Connecticut. 

Mr. Ravizza is currently detained at Bridgewater State Hospital, where he is undergoing a court-ordered mental health evaluation to see if he is competent to stand trial. In the four-minute hearing Thursday with his attorney, Mr. Ravizza said little, only acknowledging he understood the charges against him. 

Mr. Ravizza was first arraigned on May 28 in the Plymouth case, and was supposed to appear again before that court earlier this week. But officials said the mental health evaluation was taking longer than previously estimated, and the hearing was delayed. 

In Quincy court Thursday, Mr. Ravizza’s attorney asked that any determination of bail in the alleged Braintree stabbings take place after the evaluation is due back on July 1. Mr. Ravizza is set to have a further hearing in the Braintree case on July 11. 

Though not raised during the arraignment Thursday, new details about the Braintree stabbings emerged from recently released police reports. 

Braintree police responded to the movie theatre around 6 p.m. on May 25. The four girls were at a showing of the Ryan Reynolds movie IF, and told police that the man, later identified as Mr. Ravizza, came out of nowhere and stabbed each of the girls. All were taken to the hospital with injuries that were not considered life-threatening. 

An employee at the movie theatre told police that Mr. Ravizza initially tried to get into the screening but was stopped by the employee because he didn’t have a ticket, police reports stated. 

Mr. Ravizza admitted he did not have a ticket and told the employee he was going to fetch his wallet out of his car. Police retrieved security camera footage and say Mr. Ravizza then entered the movie theatre again at a run, went through the lobby and into the theatre where IF had yet to start playing. 

“He laughed at us and sounded like the Joker and ran out,” one of the girls told police. 

After fleeing the theatre in his black Porsche SUV, Mr. Ravizza eventually went on to stab the two McDonald’s employees and was apprehended by police after crashing his vehicle on Cape Cod, according to police. 

Braintree police also talked to Connecticut state police, who were investigating the death of 70-year-old Bruce Feldman in Deep River, Connecticut earlier that same day. 

Mr. Ravizza met Mr. Feldman and developed a friendship within the past few months and apparently had been living together as roommates, a Braintree police officer recalled being told by Connecticut state police.

The two men used lots of drugs, according to the report, and owned two dogs. After an incident where Mr. Ravizza allegedly smashed a Deep Rive neighbor’s windows in with a shovel, police went to the Deep River home and found Mr. Feldman and the dogs dead from serious injuries believed to be inflicted by a knife, according to the Braintree police report. 

Vineyard police also had run-ins with the Mr. Ravizza. He allegedly attacked his father on April 14 in West Tisbury and was charged in Edgartown District Court. Mr. Feldman also called police on Christmas Day to do a welfare check on Mr. Ravizzza at a home on State Road in West Tisbury.

Mr. Ravizza’s Vineyard assault case is set to go back to court in July. 

Mr. Ravizza appears to have been staying on the Island on and off for the last few years, attending yoga classes, playing tennis and giving some Islanders the impression he was trying to be an influencer. 

Some legal documents listed him as living at a West Tisbury address, though police later gave a Chilmark address. He appears to also have lived in Agawam, a town outside of Springfield.