Let’s start off with news of an email sent out to Chappaquiddick Island Association members, just in case you missed it or aren’t on their email list. It shares a link to the updated Chappaquiddick-based services directory — a listing of businesses located on Chappy. The list will be updated as names of local businesses are received. For additions or corrections, please contact Lionel Spiro at lbspiro@gmail.com.

The ferry license sub-committee of the Chappy Ferry steering committee will meet via Zoom on Friday, Jan. 13 at 4 p.m. Find the link on the Town of Edgartown website in the agenda section. The meeting notice might not appear there until 48 hours prior to the meeting time.

The Chappy Ferry steering committee itself will next meet on Tuesday, Jan. 24 at 5:30 p.m. The meetings last for only an hour. Participating firsthand in the discussions is a far better use of your time than reading the minutes a month later. I do my best to encourage a meeting time after sunset so we don’t waste daylight. Find the Zoom link and agenda on the town website.

The potluck supper at the community center is scheduled for Wednesday, Jan. 18 from 6 to 8 p.m. Bring a dish to serve six. Contact the center if you would like to host or mention it to Tina at the next supper.

The Chappy CERT team and the Edgartown fire department are collaborating to get Chappy folks trained with CPR. There are still a few spots left in the CPR/First Aid training class being held at the Chappy Community Center on Monday, Jan. 23 at 1 p.m. The class lasts about two and half hours. Contact Laura Pla at elpla@mac.com if you are interested in reserving one of the limited spots available.

Laura Pla is also organizing walks on Chappy. On Tuesdays at 10 a.m. beginning Jan. 24, explore the many great public trails across the island. Each week there will be a new meeting location and destination to be determined the Sunday prior. Those interested contact Laura, elpla@mac.com

I made an important discovery recently that I would like to pass on as it relieved me of much suffering. As I get older, the wonderful folks at the hospital emergency room are more and more likely to attach those very sticky EKG electrodes to me. No matter what the reason for my being in the ER in the first place, the most painful part of the visit is always pulling off the electrodes. I’ve tried lots of methods of removal from carefully snipping each hair to ripping them off abruptly with vise grips.

This time I tried a little spritz of starter fluid. Bingo! The stickum dissolves instantly and the electrode comes off easily. I recommend this procedure be performed in a well-ventilated area and away from open flames.