Girls basketball and hockey wrapped up their seasons last week after facing Sandwich and Barnstable in the Cape and Islands League tournament.

On Monday, in the opening round of the girls basketball tournament, the Vineyarders fell to Sandwich 68-39 on the Cape. Kylie Estrella led the Vineyard with 21 points and Maria Andrade scored eight, but five Blue Knights scored in double figures leading them to victory.

The Vineyarders kept it close in a low-scoring first quarter but in the second quarter the Blue Knights found their stride. At halftime, Sandwich led 29-10.

The Vineyarders found their offensive rhythm in the final two quarters as Hope Bettencourt hit a three and Estrella scored 18 of her 21 points while going five for five at the free throw line. However, it wasn’t enough to catch up to their opponents and Sandwich advanced to the semifinals.

“The most important thing about this season was the fact that we had one and the kids got a chance to play,” Vineyard head coach Sterling Bishop said.

In girls hockey, the Vineyarders had a whirlwind start to the league tournament as an incorrectly reported positive covid test initially eliminated them from competition. After it was discovered that the positive test linked to a player on the team was not the correct sample from that player, the girls were back in.

In the semifinals Thursday, the Vineyarders skated against perennial powerhouse Barnstable at the Hyannis Youth and Community Center on the Cape.

The Vineyard quickly gained a two-goal advantage in the first period as Maia Donnelly scored her first varsity goal off an assist from Marin Gillis and Paige Anderson slapped a rebound into the net.

Barnstable opened the second period with a goal just 11 seconds in but the Vineyarders got it back with another goal from Anderson. Olive MacPhail and Gillis had the assists. Later in the period, Barnstable began to rally, scoring twice in the final five minutes to even the score at three each.

In the third period, the Red Raiders peppered Vineyard netminder Sarah Hartenstien with shots before breaking through to take the lead. After an empty-net goal, Barnstable won 5-3 and eventually beat Falmouth in the league championship on Sunday.

— Aaron Wilson