Expressions of sympathy were coming in from all corners of the Island Monday for the family of Adam Friedman, the West Tisbury man who was found dead Saturday after a weeklong search by police.

West Tisbury police confirmed that Mr. Friedman, 52, was found deceased at approximately 12:05 p.m. Saturday, and that his family had been notified. No further details were released. Police had said previously that Mr. Friedman had not been considered dangerous and no criminal allegations were involved. Police had been searching for him since the previous Saturday.

On Monday a Gofundme page had been set up by a family friend to help raise $5,000 for expenses. By early afternoon the fund had raised $1,300 including $1,000 from an anonymous donor.

Mr. Friedman had been a longtime employee at the Martha’s Vineyard Airport, where he had worked as an operations specialist. He was one of 10 people on a team that operates and maintains the airport, including fueling of aircraft, airfield maintenance and fire rescue, airport director Geoffreey Freeman told the Gazette by phone Monday.

“[They] pretty much do everything here.” Mr. Freeman said of the operations team.

Mr. Freeman said Mr. Friedman began working for the airlines flying out of the Vineyard in 1986; a year later Mr. Freeman joined the airport staff and they became friends.

“He was a very unique, thoughtful, intelligent, sensitive person. He was a fun guy to work with and be with, he’s going to be sadly missed,” the airport director said.

Mr. Freeman said the loss has reverberated through the close-knit staff at the airport. “We’re a small community at the airport, we’re all family . . . We’re all close so we’re all definitely struggling,” he said.

Mr. Freeman said he had worked with Mr. Friedman for many years and had known him as a coworker and a friend.

West Tisbury police first issued a notice on Monday, Sept. 21, that Mr. Friedman had been missing since Saturday.

A second notice went out two days later. A description was circulated by police, after a ground search in the area of Scrubby Neck and Long Point had turned up nothing, and all means of transportation had been accounted for.

After he was found, West Tisbury police turned the matter over to Massachusetts state police, who have jurisdiction in unattended deaths. On Monday, a spokesman with the state district attorney's office confirmed that there was no criminal investigation regarding the death. 

“We thank all of those who assisted us in the search for Mr. Friedman. Our condolences to Mr. Friedman’s family and friends during this difficult time,” West Tisbury police said in a statement on the department Facebook page.

Aaron Wilson contributed reporting.