Edgartown police reported an active Thursday night rounding up revelers from the annual Taste of the Vineyard event for an array of minor incidents that ran late into the evening and early morning hours.

“The overwhelming majority of attendees who attended the event loved the event and left without any interaction with law enforcement, and we’re very appreciative,” Edgartown police chief Bruce McNamee said.

But there were a number of incidents involving guests from the Taste that kept officers busy, he said.

There was one arrest during the event at 10:20 p.m. when a detail officer observed a pushing match escalate into a fight. A 39-year-old Falmouth man was charged with disorderly conduct.

Shortly after 11 p.m., another man was arrested for shouting racial slurs outside the Wharf pub.

At 11:40 p.m. officers received a report of another fight at the intersection of Church and Winter streets, but the crowds had begun to disperse and the altercation had ended by the time they arrived.

At 1:10 a.m. Friday, a person was taken into protective custody on Water street.

At 1:35 a.m. officers were dispatched to the Martha’s Vineyard Hospital, where a man was being treated after he reported being punched in the face by an unidentified woman at Backyard Taco, the chief said.

At 1:50 a.m. two 21-year-old men, one from Edgartown and one from Oak Bluffs, were found asleep on the sidewalk on Robinson Road. Their parents were called to collect them, Chief McNamee said.

At 1:54 a.m. police escorted a man home who was found yelling and crying near Edgartown Hardware, the chief said.

He said officers were occupied all night helping lost people get reunited with their friends and safely home.

Chief McNamee commended the organizers of the Taste of the Vineyard for providing extra security this year including three detail officers who were available after the event ended to aid the officers on shift.

“I want to thank Funi [Burdick, the head of the Vineyard Trust]. She added additional safety staff,” Mr. McNamee said.

Also present at the event were two firefighters and an ambulance.