Edgartown firefighters responded to a fire in a densely-built residential neighborhood off North Water street Wednesday morning. The fire at 30 Cottage street was put out quickly and no one was hurt.

“It appears it started in a closet,” said fire chief Peter Shemeth. “Yet to be determined what was the source of ignition.”

He said the fire began just before 9 a.m. and the occupants of the home tried to put it out using a fire extinguisher. “Fortunately they were there and were able to call right away,” Chief Shemeth said. “We got here, hit it quick with an extinguisher then brought a line in.”

Firefighters hauled most of the contents of the closet out onto the front lawn and watered it down to make sure there was no smoldering fire. Eversource was called in to cut power to the structure, while firefighters checked the wiring in the home. There was some smoke damage inside, but there was no visible damage to the outside of the cedar shingled, wood frame building.

Edgartown fire initially called in help from Oak Bluffs and West Tisbury, standard protocol for a fire in a congested downtown area.

“You never know what you’re going to run into, Chief Shemeth said. “It comes in as one thing, it could be something completely different. If it had got extended into the floor joists and ceiling, or burned through the floor, then you’re dealing with something completely different.”

The property is owned by John and Elizabeth Balay, according to assessors records.