Edgartown firefighters responded in force Wednesday evening to an electrical fire at a home on Simpson’s Lane. Officials said there were no injuries nor serious damage to the home.

Fire officials and homeowner Carolyn Bernardin said there was not serious damage to the home. — Sara Brown

The fire started on the second floor of the home at 61 Simpson’s Lane, Edgartown fire chief Peter Shemeth said Wednesday after the scene had been cleared.

First responders were called to the scene just after 7 p.m. Chief Shemeth said it appeared an outlet or extension cord shorted out, sparking a fire that burned a roughly 18-inch area of the carpet and part of the floor.

Homeowner Carolyn Bernardin said she had just returned from a month away and was at home when the fire started.

Edgartown firefighters, EMS, and police responded to the scene, as did Oak Bluffs fire chief John Rose and Oak Bluffs EMS. A portion of Pease’s Point Way was closed to traffic for about an hour and a half. An EMS rehab area was set up on the corner of Pierce Lane, with a tent covering rows of back-up air cylinders.

Time to pack up; firefighters roll up hoses. — Sara Brown

Emergency personnel passed out bottles of water to the volunteer firefighters, and several onlookers stopped by to investigate the source of flashing lights. A yellow hose snaked from Simpson’s Lane down Pease’s Point Way to a fire hydrant.

Three Edgartown pumper trucks responded, Chief Shemeth said, and the ladder truck was parked around the corner. The Chappaquiddick fire truck was parked at the Chappy point in case it was needed, and an Oak Bluffs truck was covering the Edgartown fire station.

“I’m glad it happened when it did and not at two o’clock in the morning,” he said.

Firefighters extinguished the flames and cut the power to the building, Chief Shemeth said. They then looked to make sure the fire was confined to one area and had not spread within the walls or to the attic.

Rehab unit provides back-up air cylinders for firefighters. — Sara Brown

“There was a lot of smoke for the size of the fire,” he said, with smoke coming out of some of the windows of the wood shingled home.

Damage to the house appeared to be mainly smoke related, Ms. Bernardin said, standing in the driveway next door as the fire chief walked through the home and other firefighters started to take off layers of gear.

Ms. Bernardin said she wouldn’t be able to stay at her home Wednesday night — she would stay with neighbors — and it was unclear when she would be able to return. Chief Shemeth said power had been cut to the house and an electrician would determine whether there are any lingering issues that need to be fixed before it is restored.

Later Ms. Bernardin, who lives in the home year-round, thanked the town for the quick, efficient response. “All the firemen and police were wonderful,” she told the Gazette Thursday.

The scene was cleared at about 8:30 p.m., after firefighters rolled up the hoses, EMTs took down the rehab station, and the pumper trucks were backed out of the narrow street.