On May 12 Hospital Day will be observed throughout the country. The aims of the observation are set forth in the following letter from the head of the Public Health service to Dr. Mathewson of the Marine Hospital here.
The Marine Hospital was originally a lighthouse. It was first opened as a hospital in 1879. The present building is of modern construction and was built on additional land near the old lighthouse grounds. It was through the energy and loyal efforts of Dr. Charles E. Banks that $20,000 was obtained in 1891 for the new hospital. The structure was completed in 1895 and opened for patients. Since that time it has treated thousands of cases and has proved an ever-present blessing for sick and disabled seamen.