The past week has been a sad one for this community, for the Grim Reaper has visited us and taken a very heavy toll.

Last week we chronicled the death of Mrs. Margaret A. Cleveland, and in this issued is recorded the passing of Wendell P. Ripley, aged 21; Albert C. Lambert, 36; Gerald A. Pease, 34; Frank A. Howard, 35; the deaths of all resulting from fatal illnesses preceded by influenza.


Wendell P. Ripley

Wendell P. Ripley, who was an assistant purser on the steamer Uncatena, was a young man of promise, and although not of robust health was very ambitious, and was a very faithful and conscientious worker in all that he had to do. He was a very diligent pupil while in school and graduated with honors in the class of 1916, Edgartown High School. Hw was taken ill while on duty on the steamer and carried to St. Luke's Hospital, New Bedford, about a week before his death, and died on Saturday last.

The remains were brought to Edgartown Monday afternoon, and the burial service was at the cemetery at 1.45. Rev. F. A. Balcom officiated and there were many people gathered. The local tribe of Red Men of which deceased was a member, was present in good numbers and took charge of the interment. The many floral offerings included pieces from the officers of the Uncatena marked “Shipmates,” from the Red Men, and other tributes from relatives and friends.


Albert C. Lambert

Albert C. “Bert” Lambert, with a host of friends and known everywhere as a genial goodfellow, died on Tuesday after a ten days' illness, to which his naturally robust physique had to succumb from pneumonia after a most gallant fight with that disease. Bert was born in Chilmark Aug. 31, 1882, and was the sone of the late Fred H. and Almira D. Lambert. He was educated in the Vineyard Haven schools, and later attended the Falmouth High School. Coming to Edgartown when a young man, he had been a faithful assistant for very many years of his brother-in-law, Mr. Chester E. Pease, in the stable and garage business. He was much liked for his unfailing courtesy and accommodating spirit.

He was a charter member and Past Sachem of Nunnepog Tribe of Red Men of Edgartown.

Mr. Lambert is survived by a sister, Mrs. Chester E. Pease of Edgartown, and a brother, Thomas H. Lambert, of Brockton, a traveling salesman for E. C. Hail & Co., wholesale grocers.

The funeral is taking place this afternoon at 2.15 from the home of his sister, Mrs. Pease, on North Water street, followed by the burial service at the cemetery in charge of the Red Men. Rev. Mr. Balcom will be the officiating clergyman and J. E. C. Currier the director. The pallbearers will be A. K. Silva, Frank Norton, Jr., Arthur A. Norton, Manuel DeLoura, Napoleon Berube, st. Clair Brown, all Red Men.


Gerald A. Pease

The announcement of the death of Gerald A. Pease in Lexington, which came to Edgartown on Tuesday in the early afternoon, was received with universal sorrow, and following the death of Mr. Lambert in the morning, a pall of gloom fell over the whole community.

We will not attempt at this time to pay a fitting tribute to the life of prominence and usefulness which has so quickly been cut off in the death of Gerald A. Pease. He was prominent in town, county and social affairs and his death leaves a void in public activities which for a time at least it will be hard to fill. In his death the community sustains a distinct loss, and his unfailing courtesy, good-nature and marked ability in clerical affairs will not soon be forgotten. As a county and town official he has executed the duties with much efficiency, and his early removal by death from the scene of his labors is much deplored.

Gerald Allen Pease was thirty-four years of age, son of William C. Pease, retired business man, and the late Rebecca Kelley Pease. He was born in Edgartown, educated in its schools and was made Register of Deeds of Dukes County upon the death of Littleton C. Wimpenny, several years ago. The appointment was followed by his election in 1916 for the five-year term.

Mr. Pease held the offices of Town Clerk, Selectmen, Assessor and Overseer of the Poor of Edgartown. He was Senior Deacon in Oriental Lodge of Masons, and a member of the Martha's Vineyard Royal Arch Chapter, and of Nunnepog Tribe, No. 165, of Red Men. He was also a member of the Eastern Star, and Secretary of the Rod and Gun Club, of Oak Bluffs.

Mr. Pease is survived by his father and a sister, Mrs. Walter S. Beatty, whom he went to visit a few days ago at her home in Lexington. He was suddenly taken ill, pneumonia quickly set in and death ensued. Mr. Beatty was formerly of the Edgartown bank and is now treasurer of the Lexington Trust company.

The funeral of Mr. Pease is taking place this afternoon at 3.30 o'clock from the M. E. Vestry, the remains arriving from Lexington early this afternoon. Rev. Arthur Wadsworth, pastor of the church, will be the officiating clergyman, and afterwards Oriental Lodge, A. F. & A. M. will have charge of the service at the cemetery.

Those who have come from away to attend the services are Mr. and Mrs. Walter S. Beatty, of Lexington and Mrs. Elizabeth A. Kelley, from Boston, who had not started on her contemplated trip South.


Frank A. Howard

The death of Frank A. Howard, well-known by all in the community, occurred yesterday from pneumonia following influenza. He was about 35 years of age, the son of Capt. Al. Howard, a former keeper of Cape Pogue Light. Mr. Howard is survived by a wife, Mrs. Delia Howard, also by a brother in the Light-house service at Nantucket, and by a sister living in the same place. The deceased had lived in Edgartown since boyhood.

Edgartown in the past week has thus lost much of her young manhood, a series of sad events which it would be hard to find duplicated in her past history. It is hoped that the disease which has caused so much sorrow in so many homes is now about run out, and as we go to press with this issue no very serious cases about town are reported.