Six shipwrecked men from the wrecked barkentine Hattie G. Dixon, which went ashore on the reef to the southward of Washqua Hill, Chappaquiddick, about 3:30 o’clock Sunday morning, went to New Bedford on Monday morning to the Mariner’s Home there. As all the men had money they left for Fall River to go to New York to look for another berth.

The barkentine went ashore on the reef when a heavy sea was running, and the smoky haze which hung over the sea prevented a sight of anything ahead. The barkentine was running under short sail at the time and the vessel made several jumps before she finally settled well up on the reef, where she has since become a total loss.

The barkentine left Baltimore May 2, bound for Boston with 676 tons of coal, consigned to Maryland Coal and Coke Co. Aboard of the barkentine were the captain, Joseph Shanks, his wife and their nephew, Fred Stone, a young boy; Alexander McKenzie, steward; Henry Rosedom, Joseph Amoy, Timothy Cooper, Angelo Carnesso and Herbert Neal. When the barkentine struck the men had time to gather the best of their clothing and get into the two boats. All but Neal got into the 15-foot boat and started for Edgartown. The dingy with Neal in that was towed behind. They left the wreck at 6 o’clock and had a hard row against a strong wind and a heavy sea. They landed on Chappaquiddick island at 8 o’clock after a rough passage, in which the big boat came near being swamped several times. It was necessary to bail out the water during the whole passage, and when the boat finally landed it was half full of water. From Chappaquiddick the party were brought to Edgartown by Chappaquiddick boatmen.

All the men are colored with the exception of the captain, the Stone boy, McKenzie and Carnesso. Captain Shanks and his wife and their nephew remained in Edgartown, while the others went to New Bedford. Of the six men, two of them belong in Baltimore, two in Philadelphia and two in New York.

Rosedom was at the wheel when the barkentine struck and the shock nearly threw him from his feet. The stern struck first, but the vessel gave several jumps well up on the reef. No one on the barkentine knew where they were, as they were then running for what they supposed to be Gay Head light. This they had passed, however, several hours before, not making it out in the smoky haze, and they were on the east side of Martha’s Vineyard when they should have been in Vineyard Sound, on the other side of the island. A heavy southwest wind was blowing at the time.

The Hattie G. Dixon was 580 gross tonnage and was built in 1876 in Damariscotta, Me.

Capt. Shanks and his crew came to Edgartown about noon on Sunday, having fallen into the hospitable hands of some of the Chappaquiddick residents. Tisdale S. Pease, Walter Brown, Benjamin Smith, and others, were prominent in kindly attentions for the comfort of the crew. They were lodged and fed at the house of Mrs. A. Webquish during their stay in Edgartown.