We regret to announce the almost total loss of this splendid and favorite steamer by fire. She left here for New Bedford on Wednesday, the 24th ult., and made a fine passage to that port. Shortly after arriving there, she steamed up for Providence, with the intention of making an excursion from that city. She had proceeded to within five miles of Providence, when she was discovered to be on fire in the vicinity of the steam-chimney on the promenade deck. Every exertion was made to quell the flames, but the fire raged with uncontrollable fury, and the whole boat was soon enveloped in the raging element. Fortunately the steamers Bradford Durfee and Perry, were at hand, and the passengers and crew were rescued from their perilous position, and landed at Pawtucet.

A brother of Capt. Cromwell had one side of his face, and his hands badly burned; and Thomas Gardner, one of the firemen, fell through a hatchway, and fractured two of his ribs. With but a trifling exception, nothing was saved from the wreck, the crew losing all their clothing except what they had on their persons.

The boat was burned down to the keelson, but the engine sustained no injury but the breaking of one guide rod. It is all exposed at low water. In company with Mr. Whitaker, a former engineer of the boat, mr. Smith, the late engineer, has made a thorough examination of the engine, and, so far as they could see, found it uninjured, so that with a little cleaning it would be fit for running.

The engineer of the Eagle's Wing, Mr. Smith, was a fireman on board the ill-fated Lexington, which burned several years ago in Long Island Sound. During the progress of the flames, it was deemed advisable to cut the steamer's flag staff. It fell, striking across a boat which was near, injuring a son of Mr. Henry Waterman of Pawtuxet so severely that there is little hope of his recovery.

The Eagle's Wing was a very fine boat of 400 tons, and cost when new, seven years ago, $52,000. She was not insured, and was worth not less than $30,000 before she was burned. The boat was owned by a large number of shareholders, so that the loss to each one is comparatively trifling.

We learn from the New Bedford Mercury, that James Daggett, of Edgartown, one of the deck hands, stood at the wheel while the steamer was burning, remaining at his post until he was ordered away by the Captain, and then was obliged to jump through the wheel-house, to save himself. He told us that he was determined to run the boat ashore, before he left the wheel. He is certainly entitled to credit, for his fidelity in remaining at his post, and caring for the steamer, under circumstances of such frightful peril, when most men would have looked our for number one.

We learn for the Agent of the boat, Mr. Pierce, that no blame whatever attached to any one. The accident was on of those unfortunate occurrences which it was impossible to guard against. Capt. Cromwell, and his officers and men behaved with the utmost coolness and circumspection, as did also Mrs. Smith, the engineer's wife, who, with one other lady and the cook, endeavored, but ineffectually, to launch one of the steamer's boats from the upper deck, they being the only persons on that portion of the boat when the fire broke out.

- We learn from a correspondent, that Capt. Cromwell, in company with Mr. Smith, the engineer, left New Bedford on Monday afternoon, for the purpose of examining the wreck of the Eagle's Wing. They will take the engine to Providence, and have it properly cared for. They will also raise the hull, or what there is left of it, when it will be inspected by experts as to its value for rebuilding, and the Steamboat Company will then decide whether to rebuild or not.

The Company have been promised the Canonicus for Camp-meeting. They wish to harter her for a longer period, however, and are now awaiting the decision of her owners.

Our correspondent, who speaks “by authority,” will inform us soon as arrangements are made to place a boat on the route.