Monster Shark Becomes Big Game Fish Tournament

The days of shark weighing in Oak Bluffs will come to an end following a vote by the town selectmen this week to grant a harbor permit for a tournament that targets other big game fish.

The new tournament, led by Cape Cod residents Damon Sacco and Christian Giardini, will be held in the town marina July 24 to 26.

Selectmen to Decide Future of Shark Tournament Tonight

Two proposals will be aired from organizers who want to host big game fishing tournaments out of the town marina. One way or another, chairman Walter Vail said he will push for a vote

Future of Oak Bluffs Shark Tournament Uncertain

In the weeks since the death of organizer Steven James in a duck hunting accident, Islanders have speculated about the future of the tournament, which brought crowds and controversy to the town for 27 years. Now two have applied to take over the contest.

Shark Tournament Is Opportunity To Study Poorly Understood Predators

While each of the spectators made it home in one piece after the annual Monster Shark Tournament had officially ended, the same isn’t true for the 12 sharks weighed in over the two days. Each fish was cut up and pieces transported to different places. Muscle was brought home to serve — shark steak for dinner. Teeth found homes in the keepsake boxes of little boys. Photographs were uploaded to Facebook and Instagram.

Police Have Hands Full for Shark Tourney

The third weekend in July was again a busy time for the Oak Bluffs police department, which reported a busier-than-normal weekend in light of the shark tournament and festival. But while last year police said they felt overwhelmed, this year the department reported that an increased police presence may have deterred more serious incidents.

The department reported that between Thursday, July 18 and Sunday, July 21, police responded to 175 incidents, making 25 arrests and placing four people into protective custody.

Magellan Out of Harwich Takes Home Top Prize in Shark Contest

Call it beginner’s luck, offshore fishing skill or maybe a combination of both.

But the crew of Magellan out of Harwich and captained by Jason Pillsbury took home the $20,000 prize in the Oak Bluffs Monster Shark Tournament Saturday.

Magellan landed a 429-porbeagle shark on Friday and another 313-pound porbeagle on Saturday and won the tournament with 742 points.

Big Game Fishermen, Big Crowd of Spectators Gather for Shark Tournament

A 429-pound porbeagle shark was the winning catch on the first day of the Monster Shark Tournament Friday.

Dan Lundy landed the shark aboard Magellan out of Harwich, captained by Jason Pillsbury.  It was their first time to fish the tournament, which is sponsored by the Boston Big Game Fishing Club and carries a $20,000 prize for the boat that wins the most points.

Big Crowds, Police Presence Expected for Shark Tournament

The 27th Oak Bluffs Monster Shark Tournament is set for this weekend, and will likely be the last tournament of its size to be held in town following years of debate and controversy.

Sponsored by the Boston Big Game Fishing Club, the tournament begins Friday and continues Saturday. The tournament’s home base is the Oak Bluffs marina.

Shark Release Ballot Question Passes

Oak Bluffs voted in favor of catch-and-release shark tournaments, West Tisbury approved a new police station and Edgartown approved two spending projects during annual town elections last week. Voter turnout was sparse, between nine and 13 per cent, and few races were contested. Oak Bluffs voters approved a nonbinding referendum that would make shark tournaments in town catch and release only by a margin of 225 to 186.

The annual Oak Bluffs Monster Shark Tournament, which offers prizes for the largest shark caught, is held at the Oak Bluffs harbor every summer.

Oak Bluffs Voters Have Their Say, Catch and Release Is Humane Way

Monster Shark Tournament organizer and president of the Boston Big Game Fishing Club Steven James will takes steps to control the crowd at the controversial Oak Bluffs event, he told selectmen at a meeting Thursday afternoon.

Mr. James’s visit before the board was a condition of approval for the harbor use permit issued by the selectmen for the event. The event will take place July 18 to 20.

Pages