Nancy Wyatt-Brown Was Person of Many Interests
Nancy Metcalf Green Wyatt-Brown died peacefully in her Beaufort, S.C., home on August 29 after a brief illness. She was born Sept. 23, 1915, in Auburn, N.Y., the eldest daughter of Harold and Maude Nye Metcalf, and was named Nancy Elizabeth. The Metcalf family founded Columbian Rope Company, an international manufacturer and exporter of hemp rope.
Nancy enjoyed residency in four communities throughout her life: Auburn, N.Y.; Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.; Beaufort, S.C., and Martha's Vineyard, where she spent countless summers. Her first 41 years were spent in Auburn. She was a graduate of Baldwin School and Finch College. She met her husband, Wharton (known as Butch), at a spring dance during her last year at Baldwin School. They met again traveling to Europe aboard the Roma where Butch's Princeton band, The Equinox, was hired to play for the sailing journey. Mr. Green was the son of Clara and Wharton Green of Summit, N.J., a graduate of Princeton University, a senior executive with Nye Wait Carpet in Auburn and an investment counselor. Butch and Nancy married April 4, 1936, established their home in Auburn at Pine Shadows on East Lake Road and began their family. They were a member of Sand Beach Church.
Nancy volunteered as a "Cheery Cherry" along with her sister, Jean Chapman, during World War II at the Auburn Memorial Hospital. She was a founding member of the Auburn Community Players and a supporter of theatre. With an ever-present positive outlook, energetic and contagious personality, Nancy thoroughly loved life, people, music, gardening, traveling, cooking, theatre and dogs. Over her lifespan she raised and adopted many dogs and was affectionately known by her children as The Dog Lady. Two dogs, both of which have found new homes, survive her.
Nancy and Butch were natural athletes in both tennis and golf. As members of the Owasco Country Club in Auburn, they were well known as competitors and winning champions. They remained undefeated in city and club mixed doubles events. Nancy continued her love of tennis and played well into her 70s.
In 1956, the family moved to Ft. Lauderdale, Fla., following the infant death of eighth child Maude Nye Green and health problems suffered by Butch. They became members of the All Saints Episcopal Church, St. Mark's Episcopal Church, Coral Ridge Country Club and Holiday Park Tennis Center. Nancy and Butch developed many strong friendships through their involvement in the community. With seven children in tow, they were active parents who enjoyed and encouraged their children's sports and activities. In 1969, with all but two of their children grown, Butch died in Ft. Lauderdale after a long illness.
In 1972 she married Hunter Wyatt-Brown, father of Diana Haas (deceased) of Lighthouse Point, Fla.; Hunter Wyatt-Brown Jr. of Washington, D.C.; Elizabeth Green of Andover, N.H., and James Wyatt-Brown of Miami Beach, Fla. Once retired, Nancy and Hunter developed an interest in sailing as members of the Ft. Lauderdale Yacht Club. They moved to Beaufort, S.C., in 1978 where they built a home on Lady's Island, then retired to a home on Ribaut Road. In Beaufort, they were members of St. Helena's Episcopal Church and Dataw Island Country Club. Mr. Wyatt-Brown died in 2000.
Nancy's love of Martha's Vineyard began as a young child, as her parents had long held a summer home there overlooking the sea in Oak Bluffs. For nearly 78 years, part of every summer was spent on the Island. Her two sisters, Jean Chapman and Carol Hole, also have homes on the Island, Jean in East Chop and Carol in Vineyard Haven. She was a member of the East Chop Beach Club and the East Chop Tennis Club, of which her father, Harold Metcalf, was one of the founding members.
In 1975, she and Hunter bought a home on North Road in Chilmark. It was known as On The Rocks and was a gathering point for all her children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, family and friends. In 1988, Nancy gave On The Rocks to her children, which they maintained, used and rented until it was sold in 1998. Her infectious love of the Island spread to her children. Harold Green, son number two, and wife Rita purchased a home in Lambert's Cove and resided year-round for several years until they moved in 2001. Wharton Green 3rd, son number one, and wife Maggie purchased an Oak Bluffs home, which they used during summer until it was recently sold.
Nancy was particularly fond of sunsets at Menemsha and could frequently be seen there with a group large or small. Her favorite beach was Squibnocket, where she loved to picnic at dusk. A small memorial will be planned for her on the Island, where her family can go and relive her spirit.
Nancy is survived by seven of her children: Wharton Green 3rd and wife Maggie of Hobe Sound, Fla.; Harold Metcalf Green and wife Rita of San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Barton Nye Green and wife Elizabeth of Andover, N.H.; Nancy Green Ueland and husband Ran of Stuart, Fla.; Clarissa Packard Green of Vancouver, B.C.; Carroll Nye Green and husband Arthur Matthews of Decatur, Ga., and Susan Green James and husband Allan of Ft. Lauderdale, Fla. She is also survived by two sisters, Jean Metcalf Chapman of Auburn, N.Y., and Carol Metcalf Hole of Vineyard Haven; 26 grandchildren; 24 great-grandchildren, and two dogs, Whiskey and Wolfie.
In lieu of flowers, the family would greatly appreciate a donation to the Humane Society or St. Helen's Restoration Fund, Beaufort, S.C. A service was held in Beaufort at St. Helena's Church on Sunday, Sept. 1. A celebration of her life and interment will be held at the Bradley Chapel at Fort Hill Cemetery in Auburn, N.Y., on Thursday, Sept. 5, at 2 p.m.