West Tisbury was originally part of Tisbury, but became its own town in 1892 when disgruntled farmers petitioned for the separation. Sill a farm-oriented town, the town center includes Alley’s General Store, the Grange Hall, a historic town hall, a Congregational church and a summer farmers’ market. The village is the gateway to the remote rural up-Island towns of Chilmark and Aquinnah. Music Street, named in the 1800s because there were so many pianos in the houses that line the street, is the center of the town histric district.

 

 

 

Historic District/Downtown in the News

West Tisbury Farmers' Market Blooms

West Tisbury Backs Library, Mill Pond Dredging

Grant Secured, West Tisbury Library Needs Town Vote to Begin Library Renovations

West Tisbury Takes Ownership of Field Gallery

The Ag Fair: Better Every Year for 150

Alley's General Store: 150 Years Dealing in Almost Anything

To Permit Plays at Grange or Not, That is the West Tisbury Question

Grange Folds as Sign Comes Down on an Era